Friday, November 23, 2012

It's The Journey That Matters


Funny thing, but I 
was recently inspired by a dock.  
More specifically, its sun-bleached deck boards.
Their driftwood color and deep patina captivated me.  
I knew I had to try replicating it with paint.

I also saw a neat-o artifact in the 
Christmas issue of Coastal Living magazine.  
A simple, metal compass rose brought instant character to a beach shack's cedar siding.  
Knew I wanted to paint its form as well.


Thought I'd combine those 
two elements on rough hewn boards.  
Since we've been married for enough
decades, I can comfortably bring 
crazy woodworking ideas to 
my sweet hubby without him batting 
an eye.  He easily interprets my mind's 
vision into expansive canvases of 
reclaimed wooden boards.  
He enjoys the challenge, or so I tell myself.

After layering a trio of thinned chalk paints, the background started to resemble a weathered dock.

A stick of chalk -- like those from school days -- 
lets me quickly sketch and tinker with the design.
A quote from Ernest Hemingway helps express 
what I'm feeling inside.  The compass directions, 
N and W, represent amazing career opportunities.  One is to the North of my home, 
while the other is to the West.

Each are a step of faith into my future.

Barn red seemed like a good accent color.
I like the look of grey with red.  
It's a seasonal departure from my
summery sea glass aquas and river blues.

All is going well this afternoon, until 
news is received of a family member's 
passing.  I put my paintbrush down 
for the day and say a prayer 
in honor of her journey.

Elaine, you will be missed.

2 comments:

  1. love how you made this look like weathered wood! I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a fun painting project -- yes, definitely give it a try! Here's how I achieved its weathered finish:

    (1) Blended at roughly 5:1, I mixed water with a little bit of paint in three resealable containers. I chose Chalk Paint™ by Annie Sloan in Graphite, Paris Grey and Old White (bought at your lovely shop, by the way!).

    (2) Allowing it to dry well between layers, I first painted the entire piece thoroughly with the water-diluted Graphite. Can be a bit messy, so opt for drop cloths or paint outdoors.

    (3) Next came dry-brush layers of watered-down Paris Grey and sparingly, Old White. This approach allows the wood grain and Graphite layer to show through and it permits more subtle antiquing effects. Due to its rough-hewn surface, I did not apply wax.

    Bien s'amuser!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete